Most of us
have had to suffer the occasional pimple/zit/blemish one time or another
(usually at the most inopportune moments, like prom night or right before an
interview!). Still others have to deal
with them on a daily basis. But regardless
of whether you’re an occasional or daily sufferer, dealing with acne can be a
frustrating and embarrassing ordeal, particularly for those who do all the 'right things' to prevent it, such as eating healthy, drinking lots of water, cleaning
the face with acne-fighting cleansers, etc.
Although acne is usually hereditary, there are other factors that may induce
a flare-up such as improper cleansing, over-indulging in certain ‘trigger’
foods (usually processed foods high in sodium and fat), constantly touching the
face with your hands or cell phone (both common sources of bacteria), using
comedogenic (pore*-clogging) products, hormonal changes (think puberty,
menopause, high stress levels) and not removing make-up before bed to name a few. To help you better understand acne,
let’s break it down into categories.
Essentially there are four categories, or grades, of acne. Grade I is characterized by a few open and
closed clogged pores* (known as comedones) and some flesh-colored bumps called papules. Grade II acne is recognized by
all the characteristics of Grade I plus the occasional pus-filled zit, or
pustule. Grade III acne is a more
inflamed version of Grade II with a greater presence of papules and pustules. Grade IV acne consists of all the
inflammations present in Grades I-III plus painful, cystic acne. It must be noted that, with the help of an Esthetician
(if you’re not sure what an Esthetician is, see the explanation here: http://greenearthskin.blogspot.com/2013/09/an-estheticianwhat-is-that.html)
you can treat the first three grades of acne; however, Grade IV acne--the most
severe--must be treated by a dermatologist.
If you suffer from any of the first 3 Grades of acne it is recommended
that you visit an Esthetician once a week for 4-6 weeks to get the break-outs
under control. Once the acne is
well-managed, your visits can become less frequent, usually once a month for
maintenance. Your Esthetician will
customize a treatment plan for your specific skin type and condition. To make the plan successful, however, you will
need to follow your Esthetician’s recommendations at home. Some general advice that you will probably
hear is the following: drink plenty of water, wash your skin twice a day and don’t pick at your pimples! More specific advice, tailored to you, will
probably include a skin care line recommendation and instructions on how to use
the products at home for maximum efficacy.
Your at-home routine will more than likely consist of a gel or lotion
cleanser with anti-bacterial properties, a gentle exfoliant and an oil-free
moisturizer. For more information on
exfoliation, see a previous post here at:
http://greenearthskin.blogspot.com/2013/09/exfoliationin-nutshell-although.html.
Dermalogica® is a popular high-quality
brand that many spas effectively use and has an extensive line of products for acneic
skin. Another brand that is very
effective against acne is BlackBox Cosmetics’™ GeniSkin Line that has
bactericidal ingredients in a soothing aloe base. Aloe is a wonderful base for a product line
geared towards fighting acne as it has anti-inflammatory properties and is also
pH-balanced. Read more about the wonders
of aloe here: http://greenearthskin.blogspot.com/2013/09/aloes-juicy-secret-revealed-most-of-us.html. To learn more about BlackBox Cosmetics™ or purchase the products, click here:
http://shop.blackboxcosmetics.com/JB1943 and see below for a few testimonials about
BlackBox Cosmetics’™ amazing products:
"I am loving the GeniSkin kit! I have been
a loyal proactive user for over 5 years and decided to try something new! I
love that this product doesn't strip your face of all its natural moisture! It
makes my face smooth and fresh! I think the facial scrub is my favorite part:)
it polishes away dead skin and keeps your face clear! Ultimately I love that
this is non-toxic:)! Thanks for all of your help Mandy! I'm thinking about
possibly selling this product:) my mother and I live in different states and
none of our friends have heard about this amazing stuff:)" Janelle
"I had been using a
popular acne treatment product advertised on TV and found my face dry and
irritated over time. I was only using the cleanser and no after care on my
face. The severe dryness was aging my skin, so although I do have
adult acne sometimes, and BlackBox offers the GeniSkin for acne treatment, I
decided to go with the Restoration Kit that's stocked with everything I need
for a more vibrant look. I am very pleased with these products and I actually
look forward to my morning and evening skin routine because I know it's so good
for my skin! I took a photo when I first started and comparing to now, my skin
looks so stimulated and full of life!" Kathryn, Seattle, WA
I hope today’s
post helps you on your path to flawless skin! Let me know
if you have any questions or comments regarding today’s topic or if you have
any suggestions or requests--I welcome those, too!
~~Jessica
Barahona
No comments:
Post a Comment