So, most of us
are familiar with all the buzzwords associated with skin care, like cell
turnover, retinol and antioxidants, but what about UV? Who has really stopped to understand UV and
what it really means? I sure didn’t
until I went to Esthetics school! When I
started school I was familiar with most of the common skin care topics and was
excited to learn about them in further detail, but I had no idea how ignorant I
was to the topic of UV Radiation and sun damage! Of course I was aware that sun damage existed
and the importance of wearing sunscreen to prevent it, but that was just
scratching the surface. Like most
people, I erroneously assumed that it is not as important to wear sunscreen in
the winter as it is in the summer or during cloudy weather vs. sunshine or even
inside vs. outside. What I learned about
UV radiation REALLY changed my mind about all of those pre-conceived
notions. Here are some of the facts that
have made an impact on me:
·
There are two types of UV Radiation (UVR) that
can penetrate our ozone layer: UVA and
UVB
·
UVA Radiation is present ALL YEAR LONG
·
UVA wavelengths are longer and can penetrate
down into your skin’s deepest layers (the dermal layers)
·
UVA rays are also known as ‘aging rays’ because
they reach all the way into the dermis and break down both collagen and elastin
(fibrous tissues that give skin its firmness and suppleness)
·
UVA rays not only pass through clouds and glass,
they are AMPLIFIED as they pass through, making them more damaging to the skin’s
delicate tissues
·
UVB rays are stronger during the summer months
and are also known as ‘burning rays’
·
UVB wavelengths are shorter, but stronger than
UVA rays and they mostly affect the outer layers of the skin (epidermis) causing sunburns, skin cancer, etc.
·
Both UVA and UVB rays are known carcinogens
These are just
a few of the many facts known about UV radiation and the ones that are powerful
enough to have made a home in my memory.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of facts about UVR and you can
definitely find out more information about this topic on other websites or in
educational books and I encourage you to do so.
Based on the
above-mentioned facts about UVR, you should definitely do the following:
·
Always wear sunscreen of at least a 30 SPF (Sun
Protection Factor) all over your body and apply every hour if you are in direct
sunlight (this includes being outdoors, driving, or indoors if you are beside a
window) or every few hours if you are indoors.
·
Make sure your sunscreen is a Broad-Spectrum or
Full-Spectrum sunscreen. This means it
is effective against both UVA and UVB rays.
·
Avoid tanning beds!! Did you know that tanning beds utilize only
UVA rays? This is how they give you the
tan without the burn (remember UVB rays are the burning rays). And how do you think you get quicker results
from a tanning bed than from laying out in the sun? Because tanning beds use TWELVE (12!) times
the UVA radiation that you get from being outdoors. Twelve times the UVA radiation means 12 times
the collagen and elastin breakdown. Just say NO!!
By the way, do you know what happens when collagen and elastin
breakdown? Wrinkles. Just sayin’.
Not to mention skin cancer. I
only mention wrinkles first because, sadly enough, the thought of getting
wrinkles from tanning beds is a greater deterrent for most people than the
thought of getting skin cancer. Go
figure.
·
Practice skin cancer awareness by doing a
monthly skin exam (check back soon for a skin cancer post!) and visit your
doctor at least once a year for a professional check-up.
·
Eat anti-oxidant rich foods to protect your body
from the inside and use anti-oxidant rich skin care products to protect your
body externally as well!
I hope you’ve
enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it! Come back soon and feel free to leave any
comments, questions or suggestions in the box below!!
~~ Jessica
Barahona
No comments:
Post a Comment